|lake with the water-lilies|
|Stena/Delta of Kalamas|
Villada Margariti | Hotels in Margariti
Margariti is one of the most historical areas of Epirus. According to the Presidential Decree 19/10/78 (Official Government Gazette 594 D’) it was characterized as a traditional village. In the center of the village as well as in its wider area remains of polygonal walls, ancient tombs and coins as well as inscriptions with Latin letters have been found.
The building process which gave it its modern form began in 1438 by the Venetians. It was conquered by the Turks in 1449, and it was then when the violent Islamization of its residents started.
During the years 1776 and 1779 the national martyr and Lecturer of the Nation, Kosmas of Aetolia visited Margariti. It was liberated by the Greek Army on 23/02/ 1913 and when the census of Epirus (Royal Decree 07-03-1915) was conducted it numbered 2.600 residents.
Nowadays it is the capital region of the homonymous Municipality of Margariti. It disposes public services (Health Center, Police Department, Post Office, Veterinary Clinic and an Agricultural Development Bureau), schools (Nursery, Preschool, Primary School, High school, Lyceum). Moreover, it disposes associations and other Not-for-Profit Institutions (Cultural Club, Sports Club, and Women’s Association) the aim of which is the rescue, the elevation and the maintenance of the cultural heritage and the folk civilization of the area. Aiming at all the above, many are the athletic, cultural and other manifestations that are carried out throughout the whole year.
The daily commercial and industrial- commercial activity is carried out in the “market area”, on the left and the right side of the central street where most of the shops and services are situated.
But, the further elevation and promotion of the cultural heritage is also necessary, as well as the elevation of the magnificent natural environment and the development of the touristic potential, in combination with the rendering of services and the further financial activity, so that the development of the area will be continued at a faster pace.
Further information is available in the official website of the Prefectural Authority of Thesprotia (http://www.nthesprotias.com)